Wednesday, August 30, 2017

hurricane harvey | #houstonstrong


i don't think there's anybody in the U.S. that hasn't heard about hurricane harvey by now. it's devastating floods have claimed at least 30 lives so far & have displaced many families. some areas had to evacuate but many areas in houston were unable to. there are so many many people living in houston alone that it would have been more dangerous to try to evacuate the whole city. the traffic would have been impossible & w the roads flooded like they were, it would have been deadly

as someone living in texas, i have been cooped up in my house for the past few days. my classes have been cancelled until after labor day. that means i will have been off for a week due to the flooding. i've been monitoring the waters outside of my house bc i've been worried that we would get flooded. luckily, the waters have not reached my street yet but just outside of the neighborhood, the water has covered the roads, curbs, & grass. i watched people fill up bags w sand to try to make a sand bag barrier at the entrances & exits of the neighborhood. i saw a mom carrying her toddler, who was wearing a life jacket type of thing just in case. i saw a man help a family evacuate in his truck, & a woman crying

as for me, i am blessed that my house is not flooded, that the street immediately outside my house is still visible, & that my family is safe. i may have been cooped up in my house but at least i am able to be in my dry, safe, house. i spent my morning designing these images bc i felt like i just had to do something

if you guys could share my images, or any images that would raise more awareness about the effects of hurricane harvey on my city, on my state, & encourage people to donate their time, food, clothes, money, etc. to causes that are helping houston/texas, i know everyone in this city would appreciate it

if you have twitter, click here for a thread of places that you can donate to that aren't the red cross

No comments:

Post a Comment